YUMA, Ariz. - The City of Yuma Police Department is conducting an impaired driving detail over the Memorial Day holiday weekend, from Friday, May 27 through Monday, May 30. Additional officers will be used to rove city streets looking to stop and arrest drivers who are impaired by alcohol or drugs.
DUI patrols will all be looking for signs of impaired drivers behind the wheel in an effort to keep the roads safe; and the enforcement detail is in addition to regularly schedule patrol officers who will also be on the lookout.
With help from the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, the focus will be impaired driving and the apprehension of impaired drivers. The City of Yuma Police Department will also actively enforce traffic laws and get impaired drivers off the road, raise public awareness about the dangers of impaired driving, and aim to save more lives on our roadways.
Impaired driving is one of America’s most often committed and deadliest crimes.
We recommend the following easy steps, for a safe Memorial Day holiday.
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin
- Designate a sober driver and leave your car keys at home;
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member
- If you see an impaired driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 911
- And remember, if you know someone who is about to drive while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.