In an effort to prevent injury and death and to keep our roadways safe, the City of Yuma Police Department will conduct a special enforcement period of DUI patrols over the Labor Day holiday weekend, beginning on Friday, Sept. 2 through Monday, Sept. 5.
YUMA, Ariz. - The City of Yuma Police Department will be on the lookout for impaired drivers Sept. 2 through Sept. 5. This means additional law enforcement officers will rove city streets to stop drivers who are impaired by alcohol/drugs.
Impaired driving is one of America’s most often committed and deadliest crimes. With help from the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, the focus of the Labor Day DUI patrol will be to prevent impaired driving. The City of Yuma Police Department will also actively enforce traffic laws that are violated, raise public awareness about the real-life dangers of impaired driving, and aim to save more lives.
The Yuma Police Department recommends the following steps for a safe Labor Day holiday.
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin
- Before drinking, please designate a sober driver and leave your car keys at home
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member
- If you happen to see an impaired driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 911
- And remember, if you know someone who is about to drive while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely