Curbside Recycling Program
The City of Yuma offers curbside recycling as part of its residential solid waste collection service. The program includes:
- Once-a-week recycling pickup which occurs on:
- Thursdays for subdivisions South of 16th Street and East of Avenue B and,
- Fridays for subdivisions North of 16th Street and West of Avenue B.
(Regular trash collection will take place as it does now, either on Mondays and Tuesdays.)
- All recyclables (see list below) go in the blue container - no sorting required.
- The transport of recyclables to the materials recovery facility.
How To Recycle
The City of Yuma provides commingled curbside recycling, meaning all accepted recyclable materials can be placed together in a single container. There is no need to bag recyclables or separate them by type in fact, bagging materials is discouraged with the exception of shredded paper. You are encouraged to place shredded paper in a plastic bag. The plastic bag prevents shredded paper from scattering during recycling pickup.
- Recyclables should be washed out to prevent contamination; the cleaner the recyclable the more value it has.
- Break down cardboard boxes into smaller pieces.
- You do NOT have to separate your recyclables. You can deposit them loosely into your blue container.
What Can I Place In The Blue Recycling Container?
- Aluminum and steel cans: beverage cans, soup cans, vegetable cans, pet food cans, used foil and foil pie plates.
- Cardboard: old cartons, toy and product packaging, corrugated boxes, cereal boxes, soft drink boxes and other boxes.
- Paper: newspapers, magazines, catalog books, glossy sales papers, junk mail, phonebooks and directories.
- Plastics (types 1-7): milk and juice containers, plastic bottles, detergent bottles, hard plastics, styrofoam, buckets and any other household plastics with the numbers 1-7 inside the triangular recycling symbol typically printed on the lower side of plastic products.
- Glass: glass containers and jars; clear, brown, blue and green.
Learn More About Recycling in Yuma
What happens to your trash when it leaves your home?
Most trash can be recycled. Find out what happens to your trash when it leaves your home. It's a tale of two journeys depending on whether you choose to throw your recyclables in the green trash container or the blue recycle container. This educational video gives you a behind the scenes look at what happens to your trash. Watch the video.
Public Service Announcement
Curbside Recycling is coming to a home near you. Members of the Media and Public Affairs team show why the new "Take it to the Curb" recycling program is easy and the right thing to do. Watch the video.