The Yuma City Council will consider adopting an ordinance to amend part of the Yuma City Code regarding traffic rules during the regular City Council meeting to begin at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Council Chambers of City Hall, One City Plaza. The proposed ordinance would amend the City Code to add sections related to regulating distracted driving.
The ordinance was introduced during the Oct. 21, 2015, City Council meeting. Ordinances given introduction are generally brought back before City Council for adoption at the next Regular City Council meeting. The proposed ordinance creates enforceable laws and aims to protect the public by prohibiting drivers from using a portable communication device while driving, unless the device is hands-free.
Council will consider several items on the Motion Consent Agenda, which will be considered and enacted with one motion. They include:
- Two liquor license requests.
- Two special event liquor license requests.
- A bid award for police uniforms and accessories.
- A Memorandum of Understanding with the Arizona Public Safety Procurement Program.
- Authorizing the City Administrator to execute a grant agreement with the Arizona Department of Homeland Security Grant Program Award.
- Authorizing the City Administrator to execute an agreement with the Western Arizona Council of Governments, which would provide assistance for qualified City utility customers to meet a delinquent utility bill payment, avoid a disconnection for non-payment, and receive educational support.
- Approval of the assignment and assumption of the Yuma Riverfront First Phase Land and Improvements Sublease (Pivot Point Hotel and Conference Center).
There are no items on the Resolution Consent Agenda.
The aforementioned Yuma City Code amendment regarding traffic rules is the only item on the Adoption of Ordinances Agenda.
On the Introduction of Ordinances Agenda, the Council will introduce but not take final action on:
- Amending the Yuma City Code's Chapter 138 regarding residential rental inspection.
- Authorizing the City acquisition of all or any portion of the real property owned by PMG Partnership, L.L.C., in the vicinity of the northeast corner of 16th Street and 4th Avenue by purchase and exchange agreement or through the exercise of eminent domain.
- Entering into a development agreement authorizing the City to accept conveyance of title to land and improvements on real property located at 190 S. Madison Avenue, and authorize an eight year government property land and improvements lease of the property to Hardknocks Limited Partnership as the statutory prime lessee.
There are no public hearings scheduled at this time.
Full agendas available online
Complete agendas of Yuma City Council meetings are available to members of the public at any time, online, through our City Council Meetings page. From the homepage of the City’s all-new website at www.yumaaz.gov, click on "Minutes, Agendas, Notices" on the left. From that page, click on "City Council" from the choices listed on the top section. From there, you can choose between upcoming Council agendas and previous Council agendas. Meeting agendas and supporting documents are published in PDF format.